With just a few sleeps until Christmas day time is tight as invitations, family dinners and social outings are top on the agenda.
I don’t know about you but the majority of my social gatherings (whether they be personal or professional) are centered around food. Glorious, delicious food! The holidays are synonymous with excess and I don’t want you to have to worry about choosing stretchy pants to help deal with the bloat that you may feel (especially at Christmas dinner!) this time of the year.
So check out my top tips to help support your digestion this holiday season:
- Digestive Bitters – bitters are exactly that, a bitter tasting liquid that help to stimulate your gastric juices. My favorite brand is St. Francis and I’ll simply put a few drops on my tongue before a meal. A shot glass with a splash of water works well to when you’re getting used to the flavor. Never thought you’d be using your shot glasses to help digestion now did you?! Ha.
- Digestive enzymes – I’m a big fan of digestive enzymes. You can take them before large meals, cocktail parties or even after meals. I’ve definitely popped some enzymes after a large meal when I had some bloating. You can get a great plant based digestive enzyme from Organika. Enzymedica and Udo’s also offer really great digestive enzyme options. If you have low stomach acid then an enzyme with added betaine HCl may prove beneficial but chat with your nutritionist and ND/MD if you have any questions.
- Lots of fresh, clean water – this should be a key part of your routine right now. Stress levels and sleep may be compromised so help yourself stay healthy by keeping large pre-filled mason jars and water bottles around your home, office space and vehicle with fresh, clean water. Herbal teas, mineral mixtures and chlorophyll will help keep the flavors interesting.
- Chew your food (25-30x) – this is an easy one to overlook. Seriously! Regardless of what goes in your mouth it should enter your esophagus as though you just blended it up in your Vitamix. Chew, chew, and chew your food.
- Take your time – Indulge your senses, take your time and give gratitude. Be thankful for this beautiful season, your health, family, friends, pets and everything else that brings you joy throughout the year.
An easy way to help support digestion before a meal is to use a little apple cider vinegar (ACV) before, (or even after) a meal.
- 1-2 tbsps apple cider vinegar
- 8 oz’s pure clean water
Mix together and enjoy!
PS. Choose a good quality ACV like my fave brand Braggs.