With the summer heat and occasional carelessness that only humans know how to do (as well as the odd lightning strike), we find ourselves in a smoky situation. BC has declared a state of emergency due to the over 550+ fires burning throughout the province. Couple that with the intense smoke from the California fires and you may easily find yourself living in a city or town that is experiencing less than ideal air quality.
So, what can you do to help yourself? Apart from the Captain Obvious suggestions that I heard on the radio yesterday (don’t go outside and shut your windows…uh yeah, thanks for the tips!), check out some simple ways you can show your lungs some love during this intense time.
- Drink up – Ok, I know this may seem like another Captain Obvious suggestion however bear with me. It can be a challenge to drink enough water day in and day out, but trust me when I say it’s VERY IMPORTANT to drink a lot of fresh clean water when your city is under a smoky siege. Why you ask? Because smoke contains a myriad of particulates that you really don’t want to accumulate in your bloodstream and travel around your body. Keep your system flush and help it out, your bodies working overtime when it’s subjected to super smoky conditions. PRO TIP: Add some chlorophyll to your water to aid your detoxification efforts.
- Neti Pot – Time to bust it out! You may only bring out this little gem when you have a cold or flu but doing a rinse of your sinuses will ensure that you’re flushing out any particles before they potentially make their way down to your lungs.
- Steam – Another easy way to break up congestion and support your lungs is to sit in a steam room or just sit on your bathroom floor with the hot water on and let it buck. Bring the whole family in and encourage everyone to get it out (the mucus of course!). I lightly thump my chest whenever I have lung congestion as I feel it helps me out, no need to do this, it’s just something I do. The other piece you can do is add some thieves oil or other helpful essential oil such you may use that has anti-microbial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. PRO TIP: After your steam session add some of your essential oils to your diffuser for all day support.
- Vit C – Oh how I love thee! It’s such a superstar and will go a long way in supporting your immune system and will aid in the healing of any inflamed internal tissue (like your lung tissue). Vit C supplements are easy to get and thankfully so is eating as many seasonal foods that contain this superstar vitamin such as:
- Lemons and limes
- Zinc – I prefer zinc lozenges myself and often carry them in my purse during the fall however now’s a good time to bust those out as well due to its anti-oxidant properties and ability to also help heal tissue.
Please comment below and let me know your favorite way to support your lungs during this intense time.
If by chance any firefighters read this post then please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org as I’d like to help you out even more.
Stay safe and be smart.