With hotter weather comes my desire to have cooler meals and that means a major increase in one of all-time food favourites…smoothies!!
I love smoothies. I prefer mine to be room-temp with not a lot of ice cubes or frozen fruit however adjust the temperature that best suits your digestive system. Really cold (or hot!) food can be quite shocking to the system, not to mention your teeth, so mess around with the ratios when it comes to making your own smoothies.
To help keep things fresh for you I’ve included a few new smoothie recipes for you below.
Makes 2 Servings
- 2 cups frozen berries ( I like blueberries, blackberries and strawberries)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (canned coconut if you want more calories/fat)
- 4 tbsp hemp seeds (I like Manitoba Harvest)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 servings of protein powder ( I like Botanica, Genuine Health and Lorna Vanderhaeghe)
- Fill a blender (or Vitamix or whatever) with the frozen berries
- Add chia, hemp seeds, protein powder and almond milk
- Continue to blend until smooth, and divide into two glasses
Cashew Strawberry Cream Smoothie
Makes 1 serving
- ½ cup coconut water
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup ice cubes (or more, or less!)
- ¼ cup frozen strawberries
- 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 dates
- Place the cashews with water in a blender along with the ice cubes, strawberries, vanilla and dates and blend until smooth.
Blueberry Carrot Smoothie
Makes 1 serving
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 carrot (peeled and sliced)
- 2 tbsp cashews
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 serving protein powder
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup ice cubes
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth.