Yield: 1 to 2 servings
Turmeric is a herbal powerhouse! It is a bright yellow herb that is famous for its anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric contains the active ingredient curcumin which is a proven antioxidant with antiviral and antibacterial properties. Several studies also show that curcumin has a protective effect on the liver and aids in the production of bile (necessary for fat digestion). Black pepper has been shown to improve the absorption of curcumin! You can often find good quality organic turmeric tea in bags at your health food store! To make from scratch, see the recipe below!
- 1 to 2 cups hot water
- ½ teaspoon ground, grated, or powdered turmeric
- Pinch black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons raw local honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut, almond, or cashew milk (optional)
- Boil 1 to 2 cups of water on the stove in a small pot.
- Add turmeric and pepper to the hot water and stir.
- Simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea into a mug using a fine wire mesh strainer.
- Add honey and your milk of choice to taste.